In 2016, I had the opportunity to take a group of students to the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering, in Washington, D.C. Together we were inspired by each conference session and grew in a deeper appreciation for the mission and work of the Church. In many ways, our knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching was able to grow in new and meaningful ways because of the conference. As we journeyed home at the end of the conference, my students expressed that being able to end such a powerful experience by lobbying at Capitol Hill allowed them to understand the vital mission of CSMG while being empowered by it at the same time. My hope is that your campus’s experience with CSMG will be just as powerful.
Minister for Formation and Enrichment
St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, TX
Diversity Scholarships Now Available!
Participants in the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering (Feb. 3-6, 2018) who are from under-represented ethnic, racial and disability communities are eligible to apply for funding as part of the Diversity Outreach Initiative. This includes campus staff and students. Both an application and recommendation are required, due Nov. 10. Get more info here.
Join Us at Young Leaders Initiative 2018
We hope to see you as part of the Young Leaders Initiative at Catholic Social Ministry Gathering 2018 on Feb. 3-6 in Washington, DC. The theme for the Gathering is: “Building Community: A Call to the Common Good.” In recent years, almost 40 colleges and universities have joined Catholic leaders from around the country at the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering, sponsored by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and 16 other national organizations. We hope you will join us in 2018!
Through the Young Leaders Initiative, college students participate in the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering in order to:
- Meet national Catholic social ministry and advocacy leaders
- Build knowledge of current Catholic social ministry priorities and initiatives.
- Develop advocacy skills to empower students to call for positive change.
- Voice concerns with legislators on issues of human life and dignity in the U.S. and internationally.
- Grow in faith, studies, and future work through Catholic social ministry and advocacy.
You can indicate your interest in the Young Leaders Initiative at CSMG 2018 by completing the Young Leaders Initiative Interest Form (due Nov. 21) or get more info here. You can also plan now to implement these easy fundraising ideas to help fund your trip. Reflection materials on the 2018 theme are here.
We look forward to seeing you at CSMG 2018!
The YLI Planning Team
- Jill Rauh, USCCB Dept. of Justice, Peace and Human Development (Chair)
- Austin Schafer, St. Thomas More Newman Center at The Ohio State University
- Barbara McCrabb, USCCB Dept. of Catholic Education
- Fr. Etido Jerome, Xavier University of Louisiana, Campus Ministry
- Irene Quesnot, St. Mary University, Texas, University Ministry
- Julia VanConas, Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
- Lindsay McDermott, Fellowship of Catholic University Students
- Lou Charest, Catholic Relief Services, University Programs
- Nick Cardilino, University of Dayton, Campus Ministry