Whether you are a life-long supporter of fair trade products and practices, or if you are simply curious about fair trade, a great place to start is World Fair Trade Day on May 14. Here are some tips from Fair Trade Campaigns of how to promote fair trade products and practices in the following ways:
- Take the Fair Trade Challenge by drinking only fair trade coffee! Drinking fair trade coffee helps farmers combat climate change and ensures that small-scale farmers, who produce 80% of the world’s coffee, receive fair wages for their work.
- Join the FairHer campaign and celebrate women who keep fair trade systems alive by sharing FairHer graphics, customizing your own photo to make a FairHer badge, and sharing your posts with #FairHer and #FTCampaigns. Be sure to send your photo to email@example.com by April 22.
- Share your posts with Global Crafts’ Fair Trade Social Cut Out! Order them for free before May 7 to join the fun!
- Host a fair trade event! If you are hosting an event, such as a fair trade bake sale, tabling, or a film screening, be sure to register with Fair Trade Campaigns to help spread the word! Also, with final exams around the corner, there are plenty of opportunities for college students to promote fair trade products like coffee and chocolate, the two staples of finals.
- Attend an event near you! Check out FTC’s events page to stay tuned for local fair trade events.
Read more about fair trade and Catholic higher education in the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities’ pamphlet and other resources, as well as CRS Fair Trade’s wealth of information and resources.
How will your campus celebrate World Fair Trade Day? Let us know!