Recently, the Fair Trade Campaigns has released a summary reflecting on the achievements, challenges, and milestones of the past academic year. Listed below are three of the four new Fair Trade Colleges and Universities, which are also ACCU members:
- Seattle University became the first Fair Trade University in the Pacific Northwest
- St. Mary’s University became the first Fair Trade University in Texas
- John Carroll University became the fifth Jesuit Fair Trade University
The Fair Trade Campaigns also sent out an end-of-year survey to find out what Fair Trade champions accomplished on campuses across the country this past year. Listed below are some of the interesting statistics:
- 83% of Campaigns hosted at least 2 Fair Trade events (1/3 of campaigns hosted at least 4!)
- 435 Fair Trade advocates joined the movement this last year; that’s an average of 10 new advocates per campaign!
- 85% of Campaigns participated in National Programs including Back-to-School, Fair Trade Month, Valentines Day and World Fair Trade Day.
For Catholic colleges and universities, fair trade presents an opportunity to respond to the urgent call to promote social justice, the dignity of work, and the wider sharing of resources and development. The Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities has created Fair Trade and Catholic Higher Education, highlighting how ACCU member institutions engage with the fair trade movement.
See more Fair Trade Firsts in the Campaigns Academic Year in Review!